Total Pages: 328 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 1 Semester
File Size: 8 MB
File Type: PDF
Grade 6 Social Studies Strand A: In this 328 page Grade 6 Social Studies Unit, teachers are provided with 17 in-depth, engaging, and cross-curricular lessons to help their students explore and understand Canada’s Heritage and Identity: Communities in Canada, Past and Present. Students will learn about the role Indigenous Peoples have had in helping shape Canada as well as the settler communities that immigrated to Canada. This unit culminates in a Canada-Themed Digital Escape Room which helps consolidate the learning from this unit.
- This resource includes answer keys and individual PDFs of student pages to support online learning such as Google Classroom.
- Curriculum Alignment: Ontario Social Studies Curriculum 2018 Grade 6 Strand A.
- 17 Engaging Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files of Student Readings
- Daily Lesson Plans
- Student Choice
- Differentiated Tasks
- Inquiry Learning
- Graphic Organizers
- Summative Assessments
- Assessment Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Individual PDFs of student pages to post to Google Classroom™
- 1. Introduction: Building Vocabulary & Map Creation
- 2. What Shapes Our Canadian Identity?
- 3. Canadian Identity: Fundamentals
- 4. Canadian Identity: Indigenous Canadians
- 5. Canadian Identity: Settler Communities
- 6. Canadian Identity: Inclusiveness
- 7. Historical Perspectives: Communities Inquiry
- 8. Traditional Territories
- 9. Migration Reasons
- 10. Settler Life in Canada
- 11. Economic Development
- 12. Creation of Nunavut, Nunavik, and Nunatsiavut
- 13. Community Developments
- 14. Interactions Between Settler Communities
- 15. Differences Between Communities
- 16. How Did You Get Here?
- 17. Canada-Themed Digital Escape Room
- "Very thorough resource! I love the guided inquiry options that will support my students perfectly. The readings provided are plentiful and appropriate for my student's grade level. So much to choose from and a great balance of inquiry and teacher-led materials. Very happy with this purchase."
- "Love everything about this! Especially happy that it is Google Classroom-friendly with all the student pages being individual PDFs."
- “Great resource! Engaging with lots of great visuals and video links. Age-appropriate readings and engaging student activities. I am looking forward to trying this in class next year.”
- “Amazing resource! Everything you need is right there and very well put together. My students enjoyed the videos that are included (really helps reinforce concepts). I would also highly recommend the digital pack that goes with this. Such a huge time saver and paper saver too!! Thank you.”
- Regular and reliable internet is required for this unit.
- Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books, or online sources.
Need To Go Paperless? Check out the digital expansion pack for this unit. This expansion pack contains all of the student output pages in a Google Slides format. Note: The expansion pack is NOT a complete unit. You will need to purchase the complete unit. Grab the expansion pack here for Strand A.
- Strand A and B Unit Bundle
- Canada’s Interaction With The Global Community (Strand B)
- Communities in Canada, Past and Present (French Immersion Unit)