Total Pages: 40 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 1 Week
File Size: 1 MB
File Type: PDF
Media Literacy & Consumer Awareness Clothing Waste | PDF and Digital Formats: Help your students develop a deeper understanding of media literacy and consumer awareness with this engaging lesson on what happens to clothes when they are no longer wanted by the consumer. This lesson also shows students the different paths that discarded clothing can take donations, landfill, resale, shipping to developing nations as well as being burned.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom as well as Google Slides formatted lessons for 1:1 schools.
This set of lessons can be used for media literacy lessons or as part of your Geography Curriculum where sustainability and sustainable living is a curriculum focus i.e. Ontario Geography Curriculum Grade 8 Strand A.
- Introduction to Consumer Awareness
- Clothing Waste Questions and Graphic Organizer
- Journal Entry Assessment (2 Options)
- Clothing Waste Quiz
- Extend Your Learning Related Articles and Graphic Organizers
- Take Action Project (Waste Reduction Awareness Campaign)
- "I used these lessons along with the other consumer awareness lessons and I really enjoyed them. The students really enjoyed them and I think it was really relevant for them. I had a few teachers walk in and make comments on how they felt they should sit in on the lessons as they are really bad about clothing waste. I love how there are assessments included that are related to the content and give variety in marking options."
- “Excellent. All your material is great.”
- “Nicely packaged and perfect for a junior high cosmetology and fashion course--thank you!”
- "This was great for my end-of-year wrap-up. No prep for me, but meaningful for the class. Thanks."
Other Media Literacy Resources
- Media Literacy Unit - Analyzing Public Service Announcements and Commercials
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Clothing Waste
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Gender Price Differences
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Outlet vs. Retail
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Breakfast Sandwiches
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Misleading Food Labels
- Media Literacy Review Writing 16 Lessons
- Regular reliable internet access is required for this resource
- Internet must be able to access online video sources
- This resource is a non-editable PDF, with Google Classroom compatible PDFs included
- Differentiated and engaging activities
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1 to 1 technology classrooms
- Detailed lesson plan
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Detailed teacher directions
- Assessment rubrics (levels or points)