Short Story Unit 1
Short Story Unit 1
All prices are in Canadian dollars.
Total Pages: 168 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 3 Weeks
File Size: 141 MB
File Type: PDF
In this Short Story Unit 1, students will delve into various literary elements and devices such as plot, characters, setting, theme, conflict, similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. This unit features an assortment of seven unique short stories carefully selected to reinforce important concepts in literacy. Students will be inspired to unleash their imaginative powers and craft their own dramatic reenactment of a scene from their short story upon completing this unit, thereby nurturing their creativity skills. This is a great unit to use with 7th-grade students. Short Story Units 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys and final tests.
- 8 Lessons
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Lessons, Assignments, Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Student Choice & Differentiation
- Anchor Charts
- Comprehension Questions
- Scaffolded Graphic Organizers
- Standards & Points-Based Assessments
- Group & Independent Work
- PDF & Google Slides™ Formats
Short Story Unit Outline
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (Optional)
- Short Story Application Test using Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
7 Short Stories Covered
- The Hockey Sweater by Roch Carrier
- Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas
- The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant
- Lose Now, Pay Later by Carol Farley
- The Fun They Had by Isaac Asimov
- All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
- Zoo by Edward D. Hoch
- "Very clear and detailed lesson that matches well with the intermediate curriculum."
- "I am really looking forward to using this unit this year. I love the variety of stories and activities included. I also like that you have allowed for both group or individual work and have included both point and rubric-based grading options. This is very thorough and looks fun and engaging. Thank you!"
- "This resource (like all by this seller) is practical and ready to use. I'm always looking for a new way to work with short stories, and this fits the bill."
- "My students loved this unit - the stories are very engaging, great selections. Many of the stories are very applicable to today's society. I noticed their writing definitely improved after going through this unit."
Due to copyright laws, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks. This resource is not editable.
Don't miss this opportunity to engage your 7th or 8th-grade ELA students in an enriching short story adventure that will ignite their imaginations, enhance their understanding of literary elements, and empower them as skilled storytellers.
Other Short Story Resources