Short Story Unit 2
Short Story Unit 2
Total Pages: 172 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 3 Weeks
File Size: 5 MB
File Type: PDF
In this Short Story Unit 2, students will delve into various literary elements and devices such as plot, characters, setting, theme, conflict, similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. This unit features an assortment of seven unique short stories carefully selected to reinforce important concepts in literacy. Students will be inspired to unleash their imaginative powers and craft their own dramatic reenactment of a scene from their short story upon completing this unit, thereby nurturing their creativity skills. This is a great unit to use with 8th-grade students. Short Story Units 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys and final tests.
- 8 Lessons
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Lessons, Assignments, Rubrics
- Answer Keys
- Student Choice & Differentiation
- Anchor Charts
- Comprehension Questions
- Scaffolded Graphic Organizers
- Standards & Points-Based Assessments
- Group & Independent Work
- PDF & Google Slides™ Formats
Short Story Unit Outline
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using "Thank You Ma'am" by Langston Hughes
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (Optional)
- Short Story Application Test using "Test" by Theodore Thomas
7 Short Stories Covered
- The Scholarship Jacket by Marta Salinas
- Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl
- The Chaser by John Collier
- The Lady or The Tiger by Frank R. Stockton
- The Sniper by Liam O'Flaherty
- Thank You, Ma'am, by Langston Hughes
- Test by Theodore Thomas
- "This resource (like all by this seller) is practical and ready to use. I'm always looking for a new way to work with short stories, and this fits the bill."
- "This short story unit will help create a much smoother unit for my students. Thank you!"
- "I really feel in love with this and other version. I will continue to use this with my students as the years go on because it's such a great technical piece."
- "What a great resource. I used it in Summer School and it got my students excited to work."
Due to copyright laws, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks. This resource is not editable.
Don't miss this opportunity to engage your 7th or 8th-grade ELA students in an enriching short story adventure that will ignite their imaginations, enhance their understanding of literary elements, and empower them as skilled storytellers.
Other Short Story Resources: