Short Story Unit 2
Short Story Unit 2
Total Pages: 172 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 3 Weeks
File Size: 5 MB
File Type: PDF
Short Story Unit 2 | PDF and Digital Formats: This short story unit contains great short stories for middle school classrooms. Students will enjoy this differentiated and engaging unit. This unit focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. Use this unit to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
This unit is Google Classroom compatible with individual PDFs and Google Slides graphic organizers included. Short Story Unit 1 and 2 contain the same lessons but have different short stories, answer keys, and final tests.
Click Here To View The Preview
✎Short Story Unit Outline
- Activating Prior Knowledge Graffiti Activity
- Elements of a Short Story Lesson (Slideshow and Graphic Organizer)
- Whole-Class Short Story Analysis Modelling & Practice using "Thank You Ma'am" by Langston Hughes
- Short Story Vocabulary Quiz
- Short Story Analysis Whole Class or Group Options
- Final Task: Short Story Choice Board
- Short Story Drama Task (optional)
- Short Story Application Test using "Test" by Theodore Thomas
⭐7 Short Stories Covered
- The Scholarship Jacket by Marta Salinas
- Lamb to the Slaughter by Roald Dahl
- The Chaser by John Collier
- The Lady or The Tiger by Frank R. Stockton
- The Sniper by Liam O'Flaherty
- Thank You, Ma'am, by Langston Hughes
- Test by Theodore Thomas
- "This resource (like all by this seller) is practical and ready to use. I'm always looking for a new way to work with short stories, and this fits the bill."
- "This will come in handy at the beginning of the year to get things going and in between activities throughout the year."
- "This short story unit will help create a much smoother unit for my students. Thank you!"
- "I really feel in love with this and other version. I will continue to use this with my students as the years go on because it's such a great technical piece."
- "What a great resource. I used it in Summer School and it got my students excited to work."
- "These resources helped me plan and adjust an assignment for my students during COVID-19 Distance learning. It was a great help!"
- individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- literary elements and devices classroom posters (anchor charts)
- student choice
- basic comprehension questions
- short story quiz
- short story test
- scaffolded and regular graphic organizers options
- unit plan and detailed daily lessons
- lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- standards-based assessment options
- points-based assessment options
Short Story Unit 1: Need more short stories for your classes? Check out Short Story Unit 1.
Note: Due to copyright, individual PDFs of each short story are not included. These short stories are available online and in many textbooks