Total Pages: 517 pages
Answer Key: Included
Teaching Duration: Other
File Size: 20 MB
File Type: Zip (PDF’s)
Grade 8 Canadian History Bundle 1850-1914 | PDF & Digital: In this Grade 8 Canadian History Bundle, teachers will find 41 in-depth and engaging lessons to help their students explore and understand this era of Canadian history. Topics include Confederation, Western Settlement and Development, and Canada A Changing Society. This unit supports any curriculum that teachers: the background leading up to Canada's Confederation, how Confederation occurred, the settlement and development of Western Canada as well as the challenges and changes Canadian society faced at the turn of the 20th century. Many subjects are integrated into this unit Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Oral, Media), History, and Art.
- Ontario Social Studies Curriculum Grade 8 Strand A and B 2018
- New British Columbia Curriculum Grade 9
- Alberta Social 7 Curriculum
- 41 Engaging Lessons
- MP3 Audio Files
- Google Slides of Student Pages
- Daily Lesson Plans
- Student Choice
- Differentiated Tasks
- Inquiry Learning
- Graphic Organizers
- Summative Assessments
- Assessment Rubrics
- Answer Keys
Strand A Lessons
1. Why Do We Study History?
2. How Did We Get Here?
3. How Has The Map of Canada Changed?
4. Life in British North America Prior to 1867
5. Fathers of Confederation Monologues
6. Politics in the Province of Canada
7. John A. Macdonald Personal and Professional Life
8. Confederation Advertisement Assignment
9. The Pros and Cons of Confederation
10. The Charlottetown, Quebec and London Conferences
10B. Missing Voices at the Confederation Conferences
10C. British North America Act
11. Confederation Unit Test
12. Primary Source Analysis Videos and Photos
13. Legal Documents
14. Settlement of Western Canada Inquiry Stations
15. Manitoba Act 1870
16. The Indian Act 1876
17. Louis Riel Obituary Assignment
18. Canadian Pacific Railroad Lyric Analysis
19. Canadian Pacific Railroad Assignment
20. Primary Source Analysis, Video, and Creative Writing - The Gold Rush
21. The Chinese Immigration Act 1885
22. The Arctic and Indigenous Case Law
23. Numbered Treaties
24. Residential Schools
25. Video Review
26. Western Canada Unit Test
Strand B Lessons
- Settling Canada Top 10 Events Class Discussion
- Primary Source Analysis - Examining Photos
- Historica Minute Videos (Sports, Inventor, Key Females)
- Interactive Timeline of Canadian Historical Events
- The Changing Map of Canada - Examining Maps
- Important Canadians QR Codes (Key People From This Era)
- Historical Figures Readings - Frederick Ogilvie Loft, Thomas Longboat, Duncan Campbell Scott
- Changing Society Inquiry Stations - 12 Topics (Technology, Transportation, Internal Politics, External Politics (Part 1 & 2), Immigration, Recreation Activities & Sports, Indigenous Peoples, Social Movements, Education Reforms & Child Labour, Emergence of Cities & Factories, Changing Role of Women)
- Primary Source Analysis Assessment - Transportation Changes
- Legal Issues and Changes (Voting Rights, The Metis, Indigenous Issues, School Policy Changes)
- Class Newspaper
- Changing Society Unit Test
- "I wish that I could give this more than 4 stars! It is an incredible resource that is inclusive of multiple intelligences by differentiating instruction and promotes inquiry-based learning opportunities. It includes everything that you need and is well worth the money."
- "This is wonderful! Very well coordinated with an easy-to-follow structure. Easy to read, great images, and attractive fonts/borders. The expectations are clear and the activities will definitely keep my students engaged! Thanks so much for creating something that my students and I will benefit from. This will certainly save me tons of extra time!!"
- "I LOVE the resources created by 2 Peas and a Dog. Her stuff is SO THOROUGH and engaging for the students. I love picking and choosing lessons based on the needs of my students/time constraints and I love how adaptable her resources are."
- "Wonderful unit! I love that it incorporates inquiry. You've included lots of activities that will make history more interesting. Thanks!"
- "Great bundle that hits all the important History information my students needed. The inclusion of reading activities allowed for easy differentiation with my students and provided me [with] the opportunity to work with small groups. The information was clear and concise, keeping my students engaged through the entire unit!"
- "Outstanding resource. Could not have made it through History if it wasn't for this resource. Very helpful in a split situation. Highly recommended."
- "This is an amazing resource that thoroughly covers the curriculum expectations while addressing a variety of learning styles and levels. Who needs a textbook when you have this bundle...not me!! Thank you."
- "I am so grateful for this resource! Canadian History can be a bit boring, I was able to supplement my lessons with the activities, discussions, and projects!"
NOTES: Internet is required to access videos in this unit. Research is not included for inquiry stations. Students must gather the research themselves from a textbook, non-fiction books or online sources.
Additional Canadian History Resources
- Aussi disponible en français - Grade 8 History Bundle FRENCH EDITION
- Grade 7 History Bundle - Grade 7 History Bundle New France, British North America, and Conflict 1713-1850