Total Pages: 30 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: N/A
File Size: 1 MB
File Type: PDF
The Zoo Short Story | PDF & Digital Formats: This short story lesson on "The Zoo" by Edward D. Hoch focuses on literary elements of plot, character, setting, theme, and conflict as well as these literary devices: similes, metaphors, symbols, and foreshadowing. Use this lesson to introduce or review literary elements and literary devices with your students.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
- Comprehension Questions + Answer Key
- Literary Elements and Devices Graphic Organizer + Answer Key
- Standards-based Assessment
- Points-based Assessment
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1:1 schools
- “This has been an interesting story and lesson for both my students and myself. Every time we re-read the story, students come up with observances that I had not even thought about. It is very engaging for students who like to debate. Love it.”
- “Great resource. Students enjoyed it. Thank you for always making such wonderful, easy-to-use resources. “
- “My students and I loved this short story and your resource was a great compliment and provoked much discussion. I used this as an introduction to our novel study of The One and Only Ivan. We have referred back to it multiple times while reading the novel. Thanks for sharing.”
Due to copyright, PDFs of the short story are not included. This lesson is included in the Short Story Unit Middle School Bundle 1.