Remembrance Day Unit
Remembrance Day Unit
Total Pages: 156 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 2 Weeks
File Size: 48.6MB
File Type: PDF
Are you a Canadian middle school teacher looking to foster a profound connection to Remembrance Day in your students? This comprehensive Remembrance Day Unit is designed just for you. Over the course of two engaging weeks, use these 10 engaging and detailed lessons - with multimedia elements - to help your students explore and grasp the core concepts behind this occasion.
- What is Remembrance Day?
- Music Lyric Analysis
- Poem & Song Comparison and Analysis
- Video Analysis
- How Does the Poppy Relate to Remembrance Day?
- World War 1 Trench Life Simulation Game (Optional)
- Choral Reading
- Modern Day Armed Forces
- Opinion Writing
- Photo Analysis
- Contributions of Indigenous Peoples
- 10 Remembrance Day Lessons
- Detailed Teacher Instructions
- Regular and Modified Articles
- MP3 Audio Files of Articles
- Indigenous Content
- Lesson Variety: Readings, Videos, Poems, News Articles, Website Links, Graphic Organizers, Images
- Assessment Rubrics
- Print & Digital Formats
This Remembrance Day Unit is your key to guiding your students towards a deeper, more meaningful connection to this vital moment in Canadian history. Use it to instill a sense of honour, respect, and understanding in your middle school classroom.
- "This unit is brilliant. I have been teaching for over 30 years and never had anything so engaging to draw from! It allowed us to pull together the past and the present. Love that there were many mini activities with opportunities for assessment as well. We are in-class learning, so shared the videos and songs as a whole group, but then worked online to complete the activities. Lots more here than we had time to use (downloaded it the week before Remembrance Day) but definitely will use again!"
- “This was an excellent unit to use for Remembrance Day! My students were really engaged in meaningful conversations about this important day during and after these activities. They particularly enjoyed looking at the photo prompts in small groups and then sharing their thoughts with their classmates.”
- "Once again, Kristy does not disappoint! This unit was so wonderful to use with my students around Remembrance Day. The song lyric analysis as well as the choral Reading and photo analysis were incredibly engaging. The unit is well thought out, organized, and ready to use!"
Other Canadian Social Studies Resources:
- Grade 7 History Bundle 1713 - 1830
- Grade 8 History Bundle 1850 - 1914
- Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis Unit
- Reliable internet access is required for this unit
- Links to songs, videos and poems are included. Due to copyright, original items cannot be included in this unit.