Remembrance Day Unit
Remembrance Day Unit
Total Pages: 140 pages
Answer Key: Included with rubric
Teaching Duration: 2 Weeks
File Size: 5 MB
File Type: PDF
Remembrance Day Unit | PDF and Digital Editions: Help your students develop a deeper connection to Remembrance Day in this two-week middle school unit. Teachers are provided with 10 in-depth, engaging, and relevant multimedia lessons to help their students explore and understand key concepts related to Remembrance Day. This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages as well as Google Slides format to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom.
- What is Remembrance Day?
- Music Lyric Analysis
- Poem and Song Analysis
- Video Analysis
- How Does the Poppy Relate to Remembrance Day?
- World War 1 Trench Life Simulation
- Choral Reading
- Modern Day Armed Forces
- Opinion Writing
- Photo Analysis
- "I absolutely love this unit! I did not leave myself enough time to complete all the tasks before Remembrance Day. My students were really engaged in the tasks and I really enjoyed integrating them into my lessons."
- "Another great resource, love everything from this seller! The whole unit is very well structured and organized, everything you need is there, just print and teach. My students love it too!"
- "Fantastic resource - thank you! Both my students and I enjoyed the meaningful way we were able to reflect. I loved the activities which were engaging for all my students."
- "Amazing resource, thank you! This is the first unit that I found that enabled me to teach this topic in a deep and meaningful way. It really resonated with my students. We spent a couple of weeks on it and it went very well. Thank you again!"
- "This unit is brilliant. I have been teaching for over 30 years and never had anything so engaging to draw from! It allowed us to pull together the past and the present. Love that there were many mini activities with opportunities for assessment as well. We are in-class learning, so shared the videos and songs as a whole group, but then worked online to complete the activities. Lots more here than we had time to use (downloaded it the week before Remembrance Day) but definitely will use again!"
- "Once again, Kristy does not disappoint! This unit was so wonderful to use with my students around Remembrance Day. The song lyric analysis as well as the choral Reading and photo analysis were incredibly engaging. The unit is well thought out, organized, and ready to use!"
Other Canadian Social Studies Resources:
- Canadian History Bundle 1 1713 - 1830
- Canadian History Bundle 2 1850 - 1914
- Grade 7 & 8 Ontario Geography Bundle
- Christmas Truce of 1914 Media Analysis Unit
- Regular reliable internet access is required for this unit
- Internet must be able to access online video sources
- This resource is a non-editable PDF
- Links to songs, videos, and poems are included. Due to copyright original items cannot be included in this unit.
- Google Slides format for 1:1 classrooms
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Detailed unit plan with readings, videos, news articles, website links
- Assessment for, of and as learning breakdown
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Detailed teacher directions
- Assessment rubrics